[plug] [OT] Anti-virus messages

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Fri Jul 8 13:22:37 WST 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-08 at 07:37 +0800, W.Kenworthy wrote:
> Whos Greg Lemis and whats his claim to fame?  Looking at the web page he
> seems to be something to do with BSD.  Googling doesnt show much except
> he may be a programmer ...  So why does someone who does not seem to
> have made a big splash outside BSD (and maybe not even there) count?
>
> BillK

He used to be a FreeBSD kernel developer - one of the FreeBSD committers

>From his home page at http://people.lemis.com/grog/

We get:

> What I've done
> In the course of over 30 years in the industry I have performed most
> jobs, ranging from kernel development to product marketing, systems
> programming to systems administration, processing satellite data to
> programming petrol (US: gasoline) pumps.  About the only thing I
> haven't done much is writing commercial applications software.
> What I'm doing
> I have a number of professional activities:
>       * I am the director of storage systems development at Rocksoft.
>       * I am the principal developer of the Vinum Volume Manager, with
>         which I could use some help.
>       * I am a developer in the FreeBSD project.
>       * I used to be a member of the FreeBSD Core team.
>       * I am a developer in the NetBSD project.
>       * I am the president of AUUG, the Australian UNIX User Group.
>       * I am a member of the management board of the IT Council of
>         South Australia, representing AUUG.
> What I've written
> Among my publications are Porting UNIX Software, published by O'Reilly
> and Associates, and Installing and Running FreeBSD and its successor
> The Complete FreeBSD, both originally published by Walnut Creek CDROM.
> The fourth edition of The Complete FreeBSD was published by O'Reilly
> and Associates in April 2003.
> What else I do
> When I can drag myself away from my collection of past and present
> UNIX machines, I'm involved in performing baroque and classical
> woodwind music on my collection of original and period instruments,
> exploring the Australian countryside with my family on our Arab and
> Peruvian horses (check out Kuitpo forest, just around the corner from
> where I live), or exploring new cookery or brewing techniques or
> ancient and obscure European languages.
>
> In addition, I'm interested in computer history, and of course
> conventional wisdom demands that a hacker have cats.

I'd guess that the musical instruments, cats, beer brewing and horses
give him Geek cred as well.

He seems to have done more than most people, and even though he's not a
great Linux fan, he seems to know the Linux developers well - Tridgell
included.

Since his position in FOSS is fairly secure, if not high profile, I
thought his comments on a topic that we'd already spoken about were
germane ....

> On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 22:25 +0800, Richard Meyer wrote:
> > Some people were talking about email messages and when I saw that Greg
> > Lemis also disliked them - I just had to let you know ...
> >
> > http://people.lemis.com/grog/lemis-virus.html
>
> _
Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation.
                -- Johnny Hart