[plug] Buying a laptop

Senectus . senectus at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 13:18:48 WST 2005

On 7/11/05, Benjamin Woods <woodsb02 at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I am buying a new laptop for my 21st birthday (yesterday).

>          IBM has a record for higher quality but at expense of $$$!
>
> Dell Laptop:
> http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/notebooks_Q2_W11_2005-
> 07-09_inspn_9300_M510729?c=au&l=en&s=dhs
>
> Price: $3,073 ( minus $150 discount i get for working at Tyco)
> CPU: Intel Centrino Mobile 2.0 GHz, 2Mb Cache, 533 FSB
> RAM: 1 GHz
> VIDEO: 256 Mb nVidia GeForce 6800
> CD/DVD: 8X Max DVD+/-RW Combo Drive with Dual Layer Write Capabilities
> SCREEN: 17" Wide Screen UXGA TFT Display (1920x1200 res)
> NETWORK: 10/100 and 802.11g wireless
> HDD: 100Gb
>
> I know a guy that works for a IBM distributing company.
> He is gonna come back with a price for us on an IBM laptop.
> Dont know the specs on it yet.
> He said we can get it for cost price... so i imagine it will be a similar
> price as this Dell one.
>
> What do you guys reckon of dell laptops in general?
> Ibm?
>
> Is the graphics card linux compatible?
> Will need to recompile the kernel for nvidia?
>
> cheers
I have an IBM thinkpad and the linux support for the thinkpads is
brilliant.. Most come certified "SUSE" supported.
The only two problems I see is that yes IBM is bloody expensive and
they also tend to use ATI chipsets which _suck_ under linux for poor
performance.

Nvidia is pretty slick under linux..

Dell is pretty good value for money.. but not quite as hardy at the
IBM's (just treat it nice).

My next laptop may very well be Toshiba or Dell..
--
Ubuntu Hoary 5.04
"Luminocity is a cracktastic technology testbed for Metacity." - From