[plug] Buying a laptop

Daniel Pearson gpearson at iinet.net.au
Mon Jul 11 18:17:34 WST 2005

And as an added bonus, the IBM laptops don't have a windows key on the
keyboard. Well, none that I've encountered anyway.

Nathan Alberti wrote:

> Couldn't be happier with my T42, my last 2 laptops have been IBM and
> I'm reluctant to use anything else. Having said that I've been
> impressed with most of the dell's I've seen. the thinkpads come with
> some great little features (like the keyboard light) that some
> manufacturers seem to miss, however they can feel a little 'bloated'
> with all the little utilities that IBM bundles with them, I usually
> strip mine back to a pretty raw stat before I start or do a fresh
> install.
>
> The way I look at it is "No one ever got fired for buying IBM".... and
> I currently look after about 60 X-Series servers.
>

> Nathan.
>

> Benjamin Woods wrote:
>
>> Hey guys,
>>
>> I am buying a new laptop for my 21st birthday (yesterday).

>>          IBM has a record for higher quality but at expense of $$$!
>>
>> Dell Laptop:
>> http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/notebooks_Q2_W11_2005-
>>
>> 07-09_inspn_9300_M510729?c=au&l=en&s=dhs
>>
>> Price: $3,073 ( minus $150 discount i get for working at Tyco)
>> CPU: Intel Centrino Mobile 2.0 GHz, 2Mb Cache, 533 FSB
>> RAM: 1 GHz
>> VIDEO: 256 Mb nVidia GeForce 6800
>> CD/DVD: 8X Max DVD+/-RW Combo Drive with Dual Layer Write Capabilities
>> SCREEN: 17" Wide Screen UXGA TFT Display (1920x1200 res)
>> NETWORK: 10/100 and 802.11g wireless
>> HDD: 100Gb
>>
>> I know a guy that works for a IBM distributing company.
>> He is gonna come back with a price for us on an IBM laptop.
>> Dont know the specs on it yet.
>> He said we can get it for cost price... so i imagine it will be a
>> similar price as this Dell one.
>>
>> What do you guys reckon of dell laptops in general?
>> Ibm?
>>
>> Is the graphics card linux compatible?
>> Will need to recompile the kernel for nvidia?
>>
>> cheers
>>

>> From: Benjamin Woods
>> woodsb02 at iinet.net.au
>> Registered Linux User #372573

*Daniel Pearson
*Flashware Solutions ABN 58 438 456 919
Mob: 0438 118 897  |  Email: daniel at flashware.net
<mailto:daniel at flashware.net>

The information contained in this electronic transmission is
confidential. If you are not the intended recipient of this
transmission, use of this information is strictly prohibited.  If you
have received this transmission in error, please contact Flashware
Solutions 0438 118 897.