[plug] Buying a laptop

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Tue Jul 12 11:28:48 WST 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 10:31 +0800, Tim Bowden wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-07-11 at 23:18 +0800, Daniel Pearson wrote:
> > Dell certainly are great value for money, which is why you'll see a huge
> > difference in price for the same thing from IBM. Try googling the dell
> > model number, to see what kind of support it has.
>
> Take note of Dell's current reputation for support- see the latest
> offering from the register:
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07/11/dell_customer_support/
>
> You may want to think twice about dell.
>
> Just my $0.02 +gst
>
> Tim Bowden

The people that I've spoken to who own Dell, and are happy, are VERY
happy. The IBM people just accept that it works, and get on with it. ;-)

have you looked at HP/Compaq and Sony as well? Sony's rep seems to be
excellent hardware, but often so bleeding edge that Linux drivers are
problematical. Just a thought.

If I were in the market, I would be looking at the IBM X series, but I
suspect that what I want a lappy for and what you want one for are VERY
different. F'rinstance, the thought of lugging round a 17" screen does
not appeal to me (but then I hardly ever watch movies on my PC's).

But, hey, it's YOUR 21st present, and it's YOUR first big decision as a
statutory adult - no-one said getting old was easy.  ;-)

Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation.
                -- Johnny Hart