[plug] What is most important?

Mark B mark at tophits.com.au
Tue Jul 12 22:05:11 WST 2005

Greetings Jay,

One of the most important thing to understand about Linux is the file
structure,
where most things are placed and why, you will need to understand that there
is no such thing as a C drive and an A drive, there is bulk information on
the internet
already explaining this. Second priority would be to understand how to
install packages,
how run levels work, users/groups and permissions.

Last but not least, learn how to install packages, from tarballs/rpm/deb
(depending
on your distribution) and familiarize yourself with the configuration of
main packages
such as apache/sendmail/samba/proftpd/pop3 etc.

If you specifically want to administrate a Linux system and you have
developed the
above skills, you will want to look into script writing, you will find that
there will
not always be an application specifically does what you want to do, you will
want to
look into learning a scripting/programming language that you're comfortable
with.
>From here you will want to learn how to automate specific tasks using
crontab.

Hope this places you in the right direction.

if you encounter problems, GOOGLE IT, if you need to learn how to configure
something
then RTFM.  and you will be just fine :)

Kind Regards,

Mark Blah.

http://www.dnstheplanet.com/
in grug we trust.