[plug] Cheap Lexmark Laser Printer at Makro Cannington

Peter T Spicer-Wensley petersw at svshs.wa.edu.au
Wed Jul 13 15:07:14 WST 2005

Peace Pluggers!

I just wanted to share my pleasure at buying a cheap new Lexmark E230 Laser printer.

Price: $129 inc GST!!!

The specs are:
17 ppm (A4) 600x600dpi (up to 1200 dpi) black laser printer
Parallel and USB support
250 page flat bottom paper tray

OS support excellent - drivers available for all recent Windoze versions: 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000, XP, 2003 Server, MacOS X 10.1,10.2, 10.3 and 10.4, Mac OS 8 & 9
Linuxes/Unixes supported were RedHat, SUSE, HP-UX, AIX, Solaris and Novell NetWare (which isn't unix).

Linux versions explicitly supported include Red Hat Linux 7.3, 8.0, 9.0  and SuSE Linux 8.0, 8.1, 8.2, 9.0.

I am running it from a MacMini my wife bought me for my birthday (she loves me!) and it was a doddle to setup on 10.4 and on the iBook laptops.
Rendezvous support by the printer made it simple. (Apples term for ZeroConf implementation of IPv4 Link-Local Addressing see http://www.zeroconf.org/.)

The printer claims a less than 10 second first page output (once its awake) - in practise from a cold start this was more like 15 seconds for a cold start and is less than ten seconds once the printer is awake - the fuser unit must take a few seconds to warm up. The performance and output was good on both text and pictures.

So if you are in the market for a cheap (really cheap) laser - look no further.

Running costs - it uses the same cartridge as the E232 and E330 so for real lexmark cartridges you are looking at around $121 for the 2500 page cartridge (5c per page) OR if you go for the recycled cartridges it will be cheaper.

Peter Spicer-Wensley
System Administrator
Swan View Senior High School