[plug] boot into shell

Quintin Lette qlette at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 21:48:35 WST 2005

On 7/17/05, Craig Ringer <craig at postnewspapers.com.au> wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-07-17 at 19:22 +0800, Russell Steicke wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 17, 2005 at 06:37:20PM +0800, Mark B wrote:
> > > and this is why linux sucks, everyone is making their own distros with
> > > different standards.
> >
> > The solution to that is to pick one distribution.  Be a debian user,
> > or a Red Hat user, or something else.  Don't worry about what the
> > other distributions do.
>
> It's a pretty bad solution, really, in that you can't really help folks
> out who use other distros, nor easily use them yourself if you need to.
>
> Moreover, it's a total non-solution for developers.

The real trick is to live with the differences.

Yeah, sometimes its a pain to remember how to do something on a specific distro.
(package management is a good example, I use 4 different package
management systems on a regular basis due to no consistency between
distros, and other *nixes, Yast for Suse, pkgadd for Solaris, apt-get
for Debian and yum for Fedora) but you can't expect everything to be
the same for every distro, each have their own advantages,
disadvantages and quirks, you just have to work out what you are
comfortable with and put up with it :)

I find I need different *nixes for different tasks so I have to do
remember how things are done on each, but I don't see it as a negative
point.