[plug] boot into shell

Russell Steicke r.steicke at bom.gov.au
Sun Jul 17 22:46:30 WST 2005

On Sun, Jul 17, 2005 at 08:37:09PM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-07-17 at 19:22 +0800, Russell Steicke wrote:
> > The solution to that is to pick one distribution.  Be a debian user,
> > or a Red Hat user, or something else.  Don't worry about what the
> > other distributions do.
>
> It's a pretty bad solution, really, in that you can't really help folks
> out who use other distros, nor easily use them yourself if you need to.

I was thinking more of newcomers.  The advice should be "pick one",
then all your questions can be "how do I do this on $DISTRO".  (I must
add that the original question did exactly that, asking about ubuntu.)
Then when you start to recognise how things work, you can adjust to
other values of $DISTRO.

> Moreover, it's a total non-solution for developers.

Oh, I agree with that bit.

--
Russell Steicke

-- Fortune says:
Success is getting what you want; happiness is wanting what you get.