[plug] boot into shell (a tad offtopic to question)

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Mon Jul 18 13:24:23 WST 2005

On Monday 18 July 2005 03:52, Mark B wrote:
> you can't just simply log into each machine and upgrade, you
> need to hunt down all the advisories issued from the distrobutions,
> find out where to download them, patch, test, and troubleshoot.

You're not using package management.

apt-get update install

urpmi --auto-select

Can't see any insurmountable differences there. And a number of
distributors are starting to yak to one another about standardising
even that (the process, not necessarily the repositories).

> I just don't understand why everyone wants to reinvent the wheel
> on things that have proven to work

The good is the enemy of the best.

It's true that wheel-reinvention can waste a lot of effort, but it's
also true that it will cover more ground. The important thing isn't
that a new wheel design be better, only that it be different. With Open
Source in particular, useful differences will propagate quite rapidly
into other projects.

Cheers; Leon

http://linux.org.au/            Member, Linux Australia