[plug] REALLY bad LCD and fonts

Adam Ashley adam_ashley at softhome.net
Tue Jul 19 07:39:21 WST 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-18 at 11:39 +0800, Senectus . wrote:
> The new laptop I got given has a _really_ crap LCD that only does
> 1024x768 and makes the fonts look _shocking_.
> Screenshot here:
> http://www.modmeup.net/s9y/uploads/snapshot1.png
>
> Any idea's on how I can improve them? I know for the 5 mins that it
> had XP on it for the font's looked MUCH nicer (as did the colour depth
> etc)..

In gnome goto System > Preferences > Font and turn on Subpixel hinting.
It makes a huge difference. You may have to click details and play with
the different subpixel modes to get it to match how your screen works to
get the best result.

The windows version of this was almost certainly switched on.

Adam Ashley