[plug] telemarketers

Andrew Cowie andrew at operationaldynamics.com
Fri Jul 22 10:54:27 WST 2005

On Fri, 2005-22-07 at 10:00 +0800, Mark Dixon wrote:
> Telemarketer: "Hello Mr Dixon. ..."
> [no one calls me that except sales people and they all do it]
>
> Me: "Hello.  I take it this is a telemarketing call?"

The give-away that I've noticed this month is

        "Can I speak with the business owner?"

Like, duh, if you don't know who that is, then you either don't know who
I am (implying you're a telemarketer), you don't know who we are or what
line of business we're in (implying you're a telemarketer), or you
didn't bother to read our website where it is quite obvious whose
business it is (implying either you're a telemarketer or, if a
salesperson, you didn't bother to do any research at all before phoning
us. Hello! Successful sales is a *relationship* business. Do your
homework for bog's sake).

Sad.

AfC
Sydney

--
Andrew Frederick Cowie
Managing Director

Australia: Office 02 9977 6866, Mobile 04 1079 6725

Management Consultants specializing in strategy,
organizational architecture, procedures to survive
change, and performance hardening for the people
and systems behind the mission critical enterprise.

http://www.operationaldynamics.com/