[plug] Memory question - Debian Sarge

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Sat Jul 23 08:27:54 WST 2005

I am using Debian Sarge.

After the latest day of crashes and instability, after rebooting last
night, I left the computer running overnight, with no applications
loaded; just the OS and the utilities loaded at bootup, running.

When I had rebooted the computer, just before I locked the screen and
turned the screen off for the night, the memory usage applet showed 21%
in use, 11% cache.

When I turned the screen on this morning, and logged in, the memory
usage applet showed 68% in use, 16% cache.

The computer has a Duron CPU and 768MB of RAM.

Is the usage of memory, of 68% of 768MB -> 522MB of RAM, reasonable,
for just running the Debian Sarge OS, with no applications running, and,
is the increase of memory usage (and not releasing) of (68-21)-> 47% of
768 -> 360MB of RAM, reasonable, when no applications are loaded, and
the system is apparently idle?

If so, how much RAM is needed to run Debian Sarge (apart from running
applications that would show in the taskbar)?

I am assuming that the screen saver is not responsible for using (and
not releasing) 360MB of RAM.

Thanks in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby