[plug] Debian Package Management

Russell Steicke r.steicke at bom.gov.au
Sat Jul 23 11:38:42 WST 2005

On Sat, Jul 23, 2005 at 01:01:18PM +0930, Onno Benschop wrote:
> So, how are you supposed to deal with the following scenario:
>
>    apt-get install a
>    => a requires b and c, so they get installed
>
>    apt-get --purge remove a
>    => a gets removed, but b and c are still lying around

deborphan (yes, another package) can help with some of this.

   deborphan finds "orphaned" packages on your system.
   It determines which packages have no other packages
   depending on their installation, and shows you a list of
   these packages. It is most useful when finding libraries,
   but it can be used on packages in all sections.

--
Russell Steicke

-- Fortune says:
They use different words for things in America.
For instance they say elevator and we say lift.
They say drapes and we say curtains.
They say president and we say brain damaged git.
		-- Alexie Sayle