[plug] New Laptop

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Sat Jul 23 12:46:00 WST 2005

Onno Benschop wrote:

> I could do the same with the new laptop. However, I'm running a 2.6.5
> kernel and I know that my new laptop will need something more current to
> deal with power management, wireless and the touch-pad.
>
> I want to support suspend to RAM and suspend to Disk, as well as
> SpeedStep and other laptop like services, like PCMCIA etc.

Personal opinion (as I did this recently with a shiny new dell) is to do a spakning new Debian Sarge
install, compile up a latest kernel.org kernel and run with that. (I don't use the debian way for
kernels, although I guess you could if you are more comfortable with that)

That gave me wireless (ipw2200), touchpad, trackpoint, internal modem and all the other fruit (the
ipw2200 and modem were 3rd party external drivers however). I also patched the kernel with software
suspend II, SKAS support for UML, Win4Lin support and a couple of extras. But it ran a treat until I
resigned and attempted to insert said laptop into the office manager sideways.

I'm still using a similar config on my personal laptop, but being a PIII-1Ghz and about 4 years old
the hardware has been pretty well supported for ages.

Regards,
Brad