[plug] Debian Package Management - automatic dependencies

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Jul 25 11:27:46 WST 2005

On Sat, Jul 23, 2005 at 06:18:06PM +0800, Peter F Bradshaw wrote:
> I find that aptitude does a reasonable job in this regard most of the
> time. For instance 'aptitude upgrade' will probably find some unused
> packages and remove them.

That is to say - aptitude keeps track of whether a package has been
specifically installed, or whether it was automatically pulled in due
to some other package's Depends/Recommends.

Looks like people are intending to push that down a level into libapt,
so it's not aptitude specific, and so apt-get will at least have the
option to do the same automatic removals:

http://archives.free.net.ph/message/20050705.121650.98c484ef.en.html

Nick.

--
   Nick Bannon   | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick-sig at rcpt.to | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal