[plug] CAD or Architecture programs

Gavin Chester gavinchester1 at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 26 22:22:54 WST 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 20:32 +0800, Bernd Felsche wrote:
> Timothy White <weirdit at gmail.com> writes:
>
> >I'm looking for a CAD or Architecture program to help me model a
> >building. It just needs to be basic, I'm only doing the outer walls
> >and they consist of brick and concrete. It's 3 stories and each floor
> >is a concrete slab.
>
> CYCAS is quite comprehensive. But it's not for the feeble-hearted.
>
> Run through the tutorials before you get serious about drawing your
> own stuff. Else it will explode your brain.

I didn't chip in before, because I thought you would have been steered
to QCAD by someone else.  QCAD has becoming "mainstream" enough that
it's available from apt/yum repos.  At least I know it is for
Fedora :-).  It's only 2D, but has capacity to view in
isometric/perspective/etc.  Saves natively in DXF format so compatible
with many other CAD apps - including Autodesk's stable of apps.  Fairly
easy to get started if you've ever used any other CAD app.

Gavin.