[plug] Emulate Keyboard, Video, Mouse over USB (on Linux)

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Wed Jul 27 09:00:20 WST 2005

Matthew Lambie wrote:

>X/Terminal Services isn't going to help because you want to get to the
>system's BIOS. And the machine might not have these services running
>anyway.
>
>I hope this makes more sense now.

Whoot, it does, excellent question, thanks for the detailed explanation.

So, initially I'm thinking, why not plug in to the serial port. If I
recall correctly most server motherboards support a serial console which
should get you into BIOS. Again IIRC the SMP Intel Nightshade I was
running several years ago, 2 x PII-233 had this built-in.

I've also noted that there is a device called A PC weasel that is an ISA
card that captures Video output and puts it onto the serial port, not
quite what you're looking for I'm guessing:
http://www.thewhir.com/features/pc-weasel.cfm

Then you could go for a mini-lcd panel and just plug it in, but likely
the VGA connector is at the back.

I googled for the following terms:

    * remote admin bios
    * bios serial console

The latter seems to come back with a HP page about serial consoles which
specifically state:

    The purpose of console redirection is to provide the capability to
    remotely manage a server in a headless environment. Through BIOS
    Serial Console redirection, you can see POST messages, navigate
    option ROM (such as ORCA) setup menus, and use RBSU through a serial
    connection to the server COM port.

So, that seems a simpler option than actually spending money :)

--
Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S34°45'36.5" - E139°00'08.7" (Mount Pleasant, SA)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..