[plug] Setting up a new firewall

nigel at dubh.id.au nigel at dubh.id.au
Fri Jul 29 12:03:26 WST 2005

Hi all,

My network is a mess and I have decided to rearrange everything. I've
been googling and reading the DSL-HOWTO but I haven't found any recent
docs (eg: the howto is dated 2002). So I was wondering what is the
correct way to do the following.

I have a static IP on a westnet ADSL connection. My ADSL modem is setup
as a bridge. I want to build a gateway/firewall box with 2 nics. 1 nic
to handle all the internet traffic, and the other connected to a hub for
the local lan. I will probably be putting a Ubuntu server base install
on the box.

Is the following /etc/network/interfaces setup correct?

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address 10.0.0.2
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 10.0.0.0
        broadcast 10.0.0.255
	gateway 202.72.147.200

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet static
        address 202.72.144.200
        netmask 255.255.255.255
        network 202.72.144.200
        broadcast 202.72.144.255

and then I'll need to install a pppoe client? Is roaring penguin still
the way to go?

Should I put the web/mail/FTP servers on the firewall box or is it safer
to have them on a dedicated machine behind the firewall. None do a great
deal of traffic.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Regards

Nigel