[plug] Setting up a new firewall

nigel at dubh.id.au nigel at dubh.id.au
Sat Jul 30 11:28:07 WST 2005

Thanks everyone for your replies.

On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 03:02:21AM -0700, WolfBite wrote:
> http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/files/atomic-kit.tar.gz
>
> Nice firewall
> fully documented
> (all traffic out, blocks incoming)

I don't think I even realised at the time, but I was trying to get a
better understanding of how things worked. So I wanted to build a box
from a (Debian) base to get it going myself. Thanks for all those
(including Rob D) pre-built solutions. Now that I understand what is
going on I will most likely put a firewall only box in later next week.

I'll try to explain better what my problem was.

> --- nigel at dubh.id.au wrote:
>
> > So I was wondering what is the
> > correct way to do the following.

I had been reading about things like pptp and even had a section in my
interfaces file with "auto myisp" [1] and was under the impression that you
could now "bridge" linux straight through to your ISP.

And here was my main poblem.

> > Is the following /etc/network/interfaces setup
> > correct?

I thought you set the adsl modem in bridged mode[2] and then edited your
interfaces file with your IP, broadcast etc. The pppoe was just to
handle authentication. You actually don't put anything in about the nick
that is connected to the modem and when you run your pppoe software it
sorts all that out for you.

Thanks again,

Nigel.

[1] My original firewall/server/do everything box was an old PIII 350
    that I have had forever. It ended up having a lot of cruft that I
    had put on over the years (like routed) that I had forgotten about.

[2] For anyone else who is unsure. Usually the modem handles the pppoe
    (authentication etc) itself . When the modem is bridged it sends
    everything to the linux box to handle.