[plug] Linux on a USB stick

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Sat Jul 30 22:21:21 WST 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-30 at 20:51 +0800, Arie Hol wrote:
> Somebody on this list recently asked about suitable distros for USB thumb drives/sticks :
>
> There is an interesting article in the July, 2005 edition of Linux Format (pages 34-39)
>
> The article did reviews and ratings on several mini distros suitable for USB sticks, Zip disks and
> Business card sized CD's :
>
> 	Damn Small Linux - scored 8/10
> 	Zipslack - scored 6/10
> 	INSERT - scored 6/10
> 	Puppy Linux - scored 7/10
> 	Feather Linux - 6/10
> 	muLinux -  scored 5/10
>
> The mini distros are also included on the cover disk (DVD)

And on the CD's, too, I believe, but of the 3 mini-distros I tried -
DSL, Puppy and Feather, all three hung while trying to boot my Tosh
lappy (Satellite 4090 XCDT).

I was experimenting with them, because the lappy was sooooo sloooooow.
Anyway, after that I just changed from KDE to WindowMaker - it's a bit
of a disconnect, but it's definitely orders of magnitude faster. Now to
speed up the booting ......

Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation.
                -- Johnny Hart