[plug] [OT| growing VOIP -> POTS spam problem

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Wed Jun 1 12:19:31 WST 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-01 at 11:28, Milan Pospisil wrote:

>   The good old answering machine seems to be doing a reasonably good
> job for me here; all I had to do was to 'train' my mates to start
> talking when they hear the recorded message. Needless to say that they
> usually swear, but that in its essence does not effect the system - I
> know who is calling and pick up the phone.
>   There are some individuals, however,  who actually enjoy a
> conversation with these pests.  As soon as the phone rings they would
> pick up the handset and abuse the living daylight out of the spammer.
> And boy, do they feel good about it...

Problem is they are not doing it to annoy you. They are doing it because
they live in a developing nation and for them a job like this is a means
of feeding themselves.

If you should be abusing the "living daylight" out of anyone it should
be the people that run the cold-calling sweat shop instead of giving
these people real jobs.

regards,

Chris