[plug] Monitoring the Unix domain network

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Jun 3 13:24:42 WST 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 12:55 +0800, Timothy White wrote:
> On 6/3/05, Peter F Bradshaw <pfb at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> > Hi;
> >
> > I need to monitor some trafic on the Unix domain network. That is I need
> > something like tcpdump that works on the Unix domain. Does anybody know
> > of a utility?

You might be able to dump the traffic into a file using a small program
that uses ptrace (?); maybe even write out a libpcap format file (you
might have to add "dummy" TCP/UDP headers, ethernet headers, etc) so it
can be examined with ethereal. That'd probably be quite a bit of work,
though and I don't know if it'd even work.

I'd personally just see if I could modify the program listening on the
socket to log all traffic to a file.

> Define Unix Domain? NIS, NFS...

mksock /tmp/socket :-P

> tcpdump is in most Linux distros, otherwise it can be downloaded and
> easily compiled.

... but doesn't work on unix domain sockets.

> Tim
Craig Ringer