[plug] Monitoring the Unix domain network

Peter F Bradshaw pfb at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Jun 3 13:27:17 WST 2005

Hi Brad;

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005, Brad Campbell wrote:

> Peter F Bradshaw wrote:
> > Hi;
> >
> > I need to monitor some trafic on the Unix domain network. That is I need
> > something like tcpdump that works on the Unix domain. Does anybody know
> > of a utility?
>
> I have not found one.. I do it by stracing one of the processes and filtering the log.. nasty, but
> it works. I guess you must be able to do it, but then.... how? No interfaces as such..
> Can you just place the kernel into promiscuous mode ? ;)

Thanks. That was the asnwer I was afraid of. :-)

Actually there may be another way to do want I want. What I really need
to do is monitor the X11 traffic (on the same machine). I think I have
two threads talking on on descriptor. Is there a way to do this other
than by monitoring the "network"?

> Brad

Cheers

--
Peter F Bradshaw, personal.exadios.com, ICQ 75431157 (exadios).
PGP public key at personal.exadios.com/public_key.html