[plug] Separate networks on switch

Kai vk6ksj at westnet.com.au
Mon Jun 6 21:52:57 WST 2005

Cameron Patrick wrote:

> Kai wrote:
>

>>A switch or hub won't work because they're on different subnets, you'll
>>need a router to tell the packets where to go.
>

> You can still have the router on the same ethernet segment as the two
> networks you're routing between though.
>
> It's also possible to give every machine an IP address on each subnet
> (eww!) and not worry about routing :-)
>
> Cameron

OK, lemme rephrase that :)

You don't *need* a router, you could set static routes on all machines
telling them where to route the information but I'm guessing Michael's
got more than a few machines and setting static routes on all machines
could get boring, and if he had to change the subnet or subnet of any of
the machines for some reason, it could get painfull....having a router
cost money, but it's also a whole lot easier to manage the network :)