[plug] Routing tables for hybrid Linux & Windows network

Mark Dixon MarkDixon at iiNet.net.au
Tue Jun 7 13:35:25 WST 2005

Can anyone help with IP routing setup for a hybrid Linux & Windows network?

I have an existing LAN with a mixture of Linux (Fedora Core 3) and
Windows XP hosts, interconnected via a Wireless & Ethernet Router (a
Linksys WRT54GS).  The router is connected to the Internet via an aDSL
modem.  I've made a diagram of it at http://anysize.com/anynet.png  Each
of the hosts can route traffic to all of the others and to the Internet.
  All IP addressing for the existing LAN is 192.168.1.0/24  This all
works just fine.

I have just connected another Linux box to one of the Windows XP boxes
with a direct Ethernet connection (using a roll-over cable) and used
network 192.168.2.0/24 for this.  In the diagram
(http://anysize.com/anynet.png) this is the bit shown as "New: Linux box
& Ethernet link".  This also works: for example I can ssh to the new
Linux box from the Windows XP box that directly connects to it.

Now I want to be able to route traffic between the new Linux box and the
other hosts on the existing network.  I have made a few attempts at
setting routing table entries (with the Linux and the Windows "route"
command) but so far haven't managed to get it right.  I'm guessing there
are some things in the Windows XP box that routes between the old and
the new networks that might be preventing traffic from flowing between
the two networks - perhaps the Windows internal firewall software.  I'm
guessing that because it was set up with the wizard for "home office
networking" as a "PC which accesses the Internet via a Residential
gateway" - I take it that process makes several assumptions and stores
them in various places that I probably don't know about.

Can anyone advise what route commands, any any other network settings, I
should use at each host to set this up for smooth inter-network traffic?

Cheers, Mark Dixon.