[plug] Routing tables for hybrid Linux & Windows network

Adam Davin byteme-its at westnet.com.au
Tue Jun 7 16:20:26 WST 2005

Hello All,

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 14:59:18 +0800 (WST)
Shayne O'Neill <shayne at guild.murdoch.edu.au> wrote:

> Its definately in XP home. Its pretty limited. From memory it enforces
> a NAT subnet on the routing for 192.168.0.1 (making it a bit clumsy to
> nest NAT's although I've done this before).
>
> Just turn on "Internet sharing", fiddle fart around with it a bit  and
> bobs your uncle. Not as easy as piping "1" into the routing , but its
> all there.
<snip>

XP's "internet connection sharing" will indeed route between interfaces,
Theoretically you could set up a second interface as the "internet"
interface, to your second network and then point all computers to your
"connection sharing computer". If memory serves, turning on internet
connection sharing also turns on a DHCP server on the sharer, thus the
sharee's could be set to automatically obtain an IP address...

There is no way (that I have discovered) to turn off the DHCP server, so
if you are using another DHCP server this could cause some problems.

With regard to the IP address assigned when you activate the internet
connection sharing of "192.168.0.1", once you have internet connection
sharing up and running, you can happily change this IP address to
whatever you want and XP/2k will still continue to play happily, none
the wiser.

Whilst partially off topic, I hope this is of use to someone...

Information painfully gleaned from several nasty experiences with the
other side...

Regards,

--

Adam Davin