[plug] Routing tables for hybrid Linux & Windows network

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 12:56:41 WST 2005

Just going off the top of my head.
To get other computers on the network to talk to the other network
they need to know how to get to it. So each computer needs a route
that says for all computers on 192.168.2.0/24 the gateway is
192.168.0.34 (I havn't seen the diagram)
Then you can worry about setting up routes in XP.
I'd suggest thought to just put the other linux box on the network via
a switch or similar and then tell them that it's the gateway to the
new network.

Ok, just looked at the pic. I can see that your basically trying to
extend the range of your network with the wireless link going to the
Windows box and then to the linux box via cable. I'd say set up the
windows box to bridge between the 2 interfaces (wireless and wired)
and then the linux box will appear to just be on the network as if
connected via a switch, it'll even be able to get it's IP via DHCP
through the bridge. From the linux boxes point of view it is connected
directly to the switch through the ethernet connection, regardless of
the fact the ethernet connection goes wireless for a hop.

Hope this helps

Tim
p.s. Any reason for your IP addressing? I usually just start at around
192.168.x.10 and goto 192.168.x.50 for DHCP and use the first 10
address for static (router, printer...) and then extend the range up
as I need, less typing when DNS isn't working.