[plug] Server stress test, RAID health monitoring

Matthew Lambie mlambie at thefrontiergroup.com.au
Sat Jun 11 18:13:54 WST 2005

On Sat, 2005-06-11 at 18:08 +0800, Gavin Chester wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-06-11 at 17:53 +0800, Matthew Lambie wrote:
> > I have received three new servers for work and I'm installing the OS
> > over the weekend. We're using Ubuntu on all the machines, and they all
> > have SATA RAID configurations. I love the smell of new hardware :)
> >
> > 1 - Can anyone recommend a good way/application to really hammer the
> > processor, memory and disk? In the past I've compiled kernel after
> > kernel in a loop but there must be a suite of tools people use to "burn
> > in" new machines. If the disk is going to die, it will in the first few
> > days, so I'd like to thump it now and replace it before it goes into the
> > racks next week.
>
> I remember seeing an app that was designed to do just that - but can't
> remember its name, sorry.  Something like "stresstest", funny enough.
> Perhaps google will find it, I stumbled on it at Tucows or some such
> s/ware repository. Sorry not more helpful.
>
> Gavin

Thanks anyway :)

I did find this http://www.osdl.org/docs/stabilization_plan.current
along my travels, which among other things, lists a bunch of testing
suites they use at the OSDL. Very handy.

I have already managed to burn some CPU cycles using Tridge's dbench :)
--

Thanks,

Matthew Lambie
Technical Director