[plug] Voice Over IP

Chris Watt something.rotten at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 11:52:28 WST 2005

Hey Guys,

I'm doing a few weeks work here at the Midway Community Centre and as
part of the telemarketing they do we are trying to set up an
autodialing program.  Currently we have a custom system that uses
Foxpro (not written by me, I don't know how this part works) that
interfaces with the modem.  The problem is that the sound over the
modem is horrendous.

Our next idea is to look into VoIP considering it should be easy to
interface it with an auto dialing program if we use the pc directly,
instead of going through the dial up modem.

I personally would like to look into VoIP because we already have a
broadband connection here in the building on a WiFi network so we
might as well use it for more than just email.

My main concern is the way it would work going from a VoIP enabled to
a possibly non-VoIP user on the other end.  Does anyone know any
particulary good reading I can do on the subject, preferably before
the morning so I can explain it to the director.

Quick idea - Headset connected to PC soundcard, Softphone setup and
VoIP provider.  Would that be the best way seeing each telemarketer
will already have a pc?

Sorry to make it so long winded, any ideas on what we can do here?
Hope you can make sense of my ramblings.

Cheers
~Chris