[plug] Firewall question

Steve Baker steve at iinet.net.au
Fri Jun 17 20:46:03 WST 2005

Shannon Carver wrote:

> It Definitly Does, but its not called a second red interface if I remember
> correctly...  You create an alias on your red interface for the second, and
> then setup firewall rules accordingly... That's how I had it set up here for
> a while.

I've recently installed IPCop (which is a fork from Smoothwall) at a
couple of our remote offices, and it only supports 1 red interface -
however you can add blue and orange interfaces.  Orange is usually for a
DMZ and blue is meant for a wireless network if you want it on a
different segment to the green interface.  You can define how traffic is
allowed to flow between the different interfaces.  Have a go, and see if
it handles things the way you want.

Depending on your exact requirements, this may be adequate, or you may
want to load another distro and set up your own firewall rules to run
exactly the way you want.

I've had my first experience of shorewall recently and it is quite
powerful without requiring intricate knowledge of a bunch of iptables
commands/switches.

Regards,
Steve