[plug] Realtek ALC850 and spdif

Craig Dyke grail at westnet.com.au
Mon Jun 20 20:30:55 WST 2005

I seem to have beaten most of the pulp from head trying to crack this one.

I have an onboard sound card called Realtek ALC850. I have loaded all alsa
modules to find that the winner is Intel8x0.

This has allowed me to have analog sound successfully come from the line
out jack.

My issue is that I have speakers with a digital only input.
Under windblows it seemed easy enough, I just poked the connector into
the spdif jack
and viola ... sound.

My question ... Can anyone tell me if this ispossible under linux?

I am using kernel 2.6.11-rc11 and the latest alsa-lib files.

I have tried afew suggestions of creating a .asoundrc filebut each time
I do this I seem to nuke the
analog sound as well :((

Any suggestions (apart from get a pci card (at the mo)) would be
appreciated :)

Craig