[plug] Anti Virus LiveCD

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Wed Jun 22 18:46:16 WST 2005

Onno Benschop <onno at itmaze.com.au> writes:
>Going on-site each day and needing to install AVG, AdAware and SpyBot,
>then update them, then running a full scan for each application takes
>the better part of two hours for most machines, longer if their machine
>is completely toast.

>I imagine there is a better way using a Linux LiveCD of some description.

Sysrescuecd and UBCD (ultimate boot CD).

Both allow a minimal Linux system to run and you can scan for
viruses using ClamAV from the boot CD environment.

The sysrescue will, IIRC also scan NTFS, but it cannot change any
files. That may have changed recently. SuSE 9.3 is able to write
(with some caveats) NTFS so it should be possible to knobble files
using a later SysrescueCD than the one I have in my toolkit.