[plug] Anti Virus LiveCD

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 17:51:31 WST 2005

> NTFS will be a problem. There are scary hacks to work around it, but
> IIRC they have performance limitations that might well be undesirable
> for things like virus scanning a whole system.

Nope. Writing to NTFS is functional and safe using Captive NTFS IIRC.
http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/
I've heard it has bugs and is slow but when i was using it. I had no
problems at all. (Touch wood, not that I'm using it anymore as I don't
have Windows on this box)

> Alternately, I know it's possible to make win32 live CDs. I suspect it's
> a scary black art that probably requires more access to Windows than
> most folks have, though :S

As already said. BartPE. Works a charm, easy to use. You /DO/ need a
windows box and windows CD to create it. (XP only IIRC). Also, just to
point out as someone already did, it won't modify the registry,
although IIRC you can manually do it with a program on it.

Tim
p.s. What I do for clients, Start up, disable lots of start up items,
virus scan, update viruses (if it failed earlier), virus scan with
boot time scan. Then adware scans etc... I just put up with the wait,
if it's really bad then I boot a Linux CD, take off important files,
fire a missile at windows and leave ;)