[plug] debian 3.0, scsi tape drive... solved

dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Sun Jun 26 20:59:43 WST 2005

Quoting dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au:

> Quoting Craig Ringer <craig at postnewspapers.com.au>:
>> On Fri, 2005-06-24 at 13:15 +0800, dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> Confirm that the SCSI hardware driver has loaded, and that the `st'
>> driver has loaded. Check `dmesg' to see what's being found on the bus.
>
> Thanks, Nick and Craig.
>
> I will be able to access the machine tomorrow so will check on those points.
> As far as the SCSI hardware driver is concerned, I would think it is there
> because both SCSI drives are presnet - machine boots up okay from its SCSI
> drives.

Solved.   SCSI driver present and correct, dmesg and the kern.log agree.   But
guess who compiled a fresh kernel (as part of an upgrade) and slipped a mental
cog - omitting the st driver entirely.   Doh.   Usually use a make menuconfig
and utilise the previous .config file.   But not this time, obviously.

Thanks!
Denis