[plug] glscreensavers run from shell?

Russell Steicke r.steicke at bom.gov.au
Mon Jun 27 11:13:40 WST 2005

On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 10:59:17AM +0800, Senectus . wrote:
> Can you manually kick off screensavers from the shell? I'm having
> issue's with mine and want to see what the error is. :-/

Yes.  On debian the screensaver "hacks" are in /usr/lib/xscreensaver.
So you can run

  $ /usr/lib/xscreensaver/gears -planetary

to see the gears demo in its own window.  To see the other command
line options for a particular screensaver hack, run the xscreensaver
setup (xscreensaver-demo), select settings for that hack and select
the "Advanced" button.

On RH9 and perhaps Fedora as well, they're in
/usr/X11R6/lib/xscreensaver.

Alternatively, the stderr output of the screensaver should be in your
~/.xsession-errors file.

--
Russell Steicke

-- Fortune says:
Perhaps no person can be a poet, or even enjoy poetry without a certain
unsoundness of mind.
		-- Thomas Macaulay