[plug] Neato tip on blog spam prevention.

Shayne O'Neill shayne at guild.murdoch.edu.au
Wed Jun 29 10:24:36 WST 2005

We made a really neat discovery on spam protection the other day.
Basically the site I run was getting comment spams about once every 15
minutes, and it was really becoming a painful task plowing thru deleting
them.

Basically the problem also was that captchas discriminate against sight
impaired folks too.

Heres the solution ;-

                if($Author==$heading && $heading != '' ){
                        $groupid = $delwire;
                        $spam = 1;
                } else $spam = 0;

Its bizare but so far out of thousands of comments, that little heuristic
has whacked %100 of all the spams and whacked %0 of the spam.

Dunno how long it'll last for, but it sure beats the messy old regexes we
where using.

--
Freedom's just another word for something new to regulate