[plug] 64-bit notebooks

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Thu Jun 30 09:16:07 WST 2005

Randal Adamson wrote:

> Is it worth waiting for the Apple G5 Powerbook?

I doubt they'll ever exist due to the rather high power consumption of
the G5s.  AIUI the Mac Mini and laptops are the first lines moving
over to Intel chips next year.

> Are the Athlon 64 Mobile  notebooks any good for running SuSe64?

No idea.  I believe Bernd Felsche has one, maybe he'll pipe up...

> Has anyone got one and wants to say whether they are worth all the fuss vs
> 32-bit Intel Centrino ones?

The Pentium M ("Centrino") is easily the most energy efficient x86 CPU
and the Intel wireless and graphics chipsets are very well supported
under Linux.  Athlon 64s are great, but for a laptop I'd go for the
Pentium M.  (That said, if what you're after is a hefty "desktop
replacement" laptop then your priorities are probably different to
mine and an Athlon 64 might be a better choice.  I have an Athlon 64
desktop at home and it's a bloody fast machine which runs Linux well.)

Cheers,

Cameron.