[SPAM] - Re: [plug] 64-bit notebooks - Email found in subject

Shannon Carver Shannon.Carver at P-S-T.COM.AU
Thu Jun 30 10:04:33 WST 2005

What? And you don't think its normal to carry a 8 disk SCSI raid cage
with you where ever you go.  But yes, as usual the hard drive always
seems to be the real limitation

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-bounces at plug.org.au [mailto:plug-bounces at plug.org.au] On
Behalf Of Bernd Felsche
Sent: Thursday, 30 June 2005 10:00 AM
To: plug at plug.org.au
Subject: [SPAM] - Re: [plug] 64-bit notebooks - Email found in subject

"Randal Adamson" <ranz at devdata.net> writes:

>I am about to upgrade my notebook and was after some feedback about
>64-bit notebooks.

>Is it worth waiting for the Apple G5 Powerbook?

Waiting for the next-best thing results in interminable waiting.

>Are the Athlon 64 Mobile  notebooks any good for running SuSe64?

Yes. ASUS works fine. Main issues are with builtin winmodems and
some WiFi chipsets for which manufacturers aren't releasing specs or
kernel modules. Avoid Broadcom WiFi.

>Has anyone got one and wants to say whether they are worth all the
>fuss vs 32-bit Intel Centrino ones?

The main limitation to laptop speed is the hard disk. If you have
lots of RAM, then the 64-bit CPU has a clear advantage in
memory- and CPU-intensive tasks. If you're waiting for the hard
disk, things slow to Z80-speed.

PLUG discussion list: plug at plug.org.au