[plug] Linux on Macintosh 8500/120

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Wed Mar 2 14:26:04 WST 2005

Shayne O'Neill wrote:

> I've found ubuntu (on the uwa server too I think) pure magic on the macs.
> Which is saying something cos everything else I tried failed miseraby.

Unfortunately Ubuntu only supports New World Macs.  I'm not sure
exactly where the line is between old and new world, but I believe it
was somewhere G3-ish.  Certainly a Power Mac xxxx/yyy would be Old
World.

I have Debian running on a 9600 and it works pretty well.  The
installation was a bugger though, needed to install Mac OS 7.5 on a
small partition and boot Linux from that using BootX (the normal
non-Mac OS bootloader just refused to work for me).  All of the bits
you need to do that are available for free download, but getting it
going was painful.  I started documenting the process briefly on a web
site, but never got around to uploading it anywhere public ... well,
it's now at http://cp.yi.org/cameron/powermac_debian.html (very
sketchy, but hopefully useful).

Cameron