[plug] [OT] Clearing bad clusters?

Steve Grasso steveg at calm.wa.gov.au
Wed Mar 2 17:32:35 WST 2005

Hi Andrew,

If you're feeling intrepid and just a little bit lucky, grab a copy of LDE (
http://lde.sourceforge.net/ ) and edit BOTH copies of the FAT. According to
Thomas Kjoernes' article ( http://home.no.net/tkos/info/fat.html ) FAT32 bad
clusters are marked 0x0FFFFFF7 while available clusters are marked 0x00000000,
so I guess changing the cluster markers from "bad" to "available" will probably
do the trick.

If it was *my* drive, I'd back it up solidly before I played with any of this!
(No, really, I would).

Cheers,
Steve