[plug] cdrom & DVD wont mount weird

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Wed Mar 2 18:25:23 WST 2005

landerson wrote:
>   ls: /dev/cdrom: No such file or directory
>   ls: /dev/cdrom: No such file or directory
>
>   Hope this helps.

Are you running a distribution that uses devfs or udev to create device nodes by any chance?
You might well lose any symlinks you have created when you reboot the system.

On my laptop for example, I would need to do a

ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/cdrom

To get it to work after a reboot with a devfs based system.

Can't really offer much more advice other than find out what the actual devices are and tell your
software to use the actual device nodes rather than the symlinks. In my case I have my cd software
looking at /dev/hdc and I have /dev/hdc in my fstab rather than /dev/cdrom.

Regards,
Brad