[plug] Window Pagers and window managers

Adam Davin bladebadger at westnet.com.au
Thu Mar 3 14:16:10 WST 2005

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies.

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 16:59:37 +0800
Craig Ringer <craig at postnewspapers.com.au> wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-03-02 at 16:43 +0800, Adam Davin wrote:
>
> > I would consider switching window managers but I don't really want
> > to loose the ability of dragging windows around in the pager (a
> > while back I checked Gnome / kde and they didn't seem to have this
> > feature, that I could find at least.)
>
> The GNOME and XFCE pagers both do this, at least in GNOME 2.8 and XFCE
> 4.2 .
>
> I'm afraid I can't offer you any ideas re your Eclipse problems,
> though.

Some initial reflections on XFCE
Current debian unstable version of XFCE is 4.0.5
It seems to have fixed the eclipse dialog box problems. Oh how wonderful
it is to not have to fight with border handles just to click the "OK"
button.
The pagers can be used to move windows between desktops, but are
placed in exactly the same place on the new desktop as they were on the
old desktop. This is only a minor issue though.
An interesting quirk, on my dual display desktop, the taskbar (the one
with all the currently running application icons) only shows on one
monitor, however it does not let applications on the other monitor
occupy the space that it would use if it was displayed there. I read
something in the docs somewhere about needing to have -xinerama support
compiled in, so maybe this is the problem.
One thing I do miss is the ability to have different background pictures
on different desktops. Its only a small thing, but I liked it and it
allowed me to identify a desktop by the background image, as well as
having some variety :)

Thanks again all

Regards,

--