[plug] linux<->os/x passwordless ssh

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Mar 3 15:38:26 WST 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 15:30 +0800, Shayne O'Neill wrote:
> Erm. The 2 is for dsa instead of rsa I think.

Nope. I'm pretty sure authorised_keys2 was required for OpenSSH 2, which
required separate authorised_keys files for ssh1 rsa keys and for ssh2
rsa and dsa keys. OpenSSH 3 no longer has that limiation, and you should
probably use authorised_keys for both (and preferably disable ssh1
support unless you need it, or you expect to access your box via truly
ancient clients).

Btw, if you're going to be using ssh interactively (as opposed to in a
cron job etc) you're probably better off using a key with a passphrase
and using the ssh-agent to avoid having to re-enter the passphrase every
time.

On the other hand, I couldn't find any ssh-askpass-* programs on MacOS/X
last time I checked, and it doesn't seem to support starting the agent
on login... so maybe no passphrase is the sanest option on OS/X until
Apple fix that.

--
Craig Ringer