[plug] mythtv

Jim Householder nofixed at westnet.com.au
Fri Mar 4 00:51:43 WST 2005

Timothy White wrote:
> Carl Gherardi wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 01:13:01 +0800, Jim Householder
>> <nofixed at westnet.com.au> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Is anyone having success with mythtv?  When I try to do anything with it
>>>  I get
>>>
>>> 418:/usr/local:$ mythtv
>>> Unable to connect to database!
>>> Driver error was [1/1045]:
>>> QMYSQL3: Unable to connect
>>> Database error was:
>>> Access denied for user: 'mythtv at localhost' (Using password: YES)
>>>
>>> couldn't open db
>>> 419:/usr/local:$
>>>

>> Looks like mysql is either not set up or not running. Have you gone
>> through the steps to create the database and set a password for mysql
>> user mythtv?
>>

> Also. If you're using MySQL 4.1 (maybe 4.0 as well) the password code
> has changed so for older applications to work you need to manually
> insert the password into the database with old_password() (IIRC or
> password_old)
>
> Tim

I am making progress - of sorts.  Setup does not create the database.
It's necessary to manually create it using (in my case)
/usr/share/doc/mythtv-0.15.1/database/mc.sql.

Once that was done, I was able to start configuring it.  At this point,
however, all I get is the sound (after killing artsd).  The screen goes
black.

Still hacking away...

Jim