[plug] Converting mbox to maildir in a Debian 'testing' exim4 + dovecot enviroment

Michael Hunt michael at aussie.oddsocks.net
Sun Mar 6 08:53:23 WST 2005

On Sat, 2005-03-05 at 19:04 +0800, Adrian Woodley wrote:

> apt-get install mb2md

Thanks Adrian. That worked a treat. Already notice a huge difference in
speed (almost cyrus like ;-)).

Just for the archives here is what I did to convert.

> >I was wondering if someone could give me some advice on converting mbox
> >style folders to maildir folders in a Debian exim4 + dovecot
> >environment. Originally I had a woody exim + cyrus IMAP setup which used
> >maildir style folders and was quite fast. Over the christmas period I
> >converted the box to a sarge exim4 + dovecot (due to its easy to
> >install) and noticed that all my mail is now in mbox format. As a result
> >IMAP performance has taken a hit and I don't think I am giving dovecot's
> >indexing a fair go.
> >
> >I know if I add the following to /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf it
> >will enable maildir support :-
> >
> >	dc_localdelivery='maildir_home'
> >
> >but how do I go about converting the existing mail?

Stop fetchmail, exim and dovecot (/etc/init.d/exim stop)
Login as each user and run the following commands :-

mb2md -m ; Converts /var/spool/mail
mb2md -s mail -R ; Converts /home/<user>/mail

Start mail services (exim, dovecot and fetchmail).

Thanks for the help Adrian and Tim.

Michael Hunt

Login as each user and while in the