[plug] modem on adsl

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Wed Mar 9 11:50:02 WST 2005

At 11:31 AM 9/03/2005, you wrote:
>Can a normal 56k external modem be used on the phone line side of an
>adsl installation? I tried,no go, but dont know if possible or if the old
>modem has died?

Hmmm... I've not tried it but cannot see any reason, in theory, why it
would not work.   The 56K modem should use voiceband-ish frequency range
and the ADSL is very much out-of-band from a voice perspective.   Might pay
to check on your filter though.   You may be able to try the modem on
another known-modem-friendly 'phone line?

HTH,
Denis (willing to stand corrected on the above!)