[plug] VGA to TV encoder

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Thu Mar 10 13:52:15 WST 2005

On 10 Mar 2005 at 13:32, Joel Johnson wrote:

> Arie, have never tried it myself but are you able to use the TV out port
> under Linux that is available on many video cards? On most cards this is
> just an RCA socket and some come with an adapter from RCA to SVideo. You
> could then plug that directly into the Video In port on your VCR and
> record everything that appears on screen.

My video card has three outputs - standard VGA, s-video and DVI.

The only thing that gives me any extra output is the s-video port - but the picture is so hopeless -
 It needs and encoder to clean it up.

I have tried several things to get an output - but the only usable output I can get is with the old
encoder that I already have - but it only works with Windows drivers and is getting a bit old.

I have tried sending the s-video output direct to a TV - with seriously distorted results and an
overlaid signal from a local FM radio station !!!!.

I have tried sending the s-video output direct to a VCR - with no results.

I have even tried sending the s-video output direct to an old Commodore 64 monitor using the RF
inputs - with no results.

Regards Arie