[plug] advice on firewall distro

Nathan D natdan at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 06:49:07 WST 2005

> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 16:40:03 +0800, Gregory Orange wrote:
>> We need to quickly install a firewall and have it easily configurable.
>> Ideally I'd like a nice GUI (?web-based) where most settings can be
>> altered, and nice standard access under the hood without a whole pile of
>> custom interactions needing to be learnt.

Another thumbs up for IPCop.  I started off with SmoothWall and then
made the move to IPCop.  Main reason is that I found IPCop more 'open'
to making changes and doing your own thing with the firewall in
comparison to SmoothWall's "this is ours and you shouldn't play with
it" attitude.  YMMV
Also very small and easy to get going is m0n0wall
http://m0n0.ch/wall/  that is based on FreeBSD.

Good Luck :)

regards,
  Nathan D.