[plug] *** March Seminar Notice - Tuesday 15th ***

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Fri Mar 11 22:12:34 WST 2005

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005, Cameron Patrick wrote:

> Bret Busby wrote:
>
>> What about, for future seminars, investigating the possibility of
>> holding the monthly seminars, at the Open Source WA facility, at
>> Technology Park in Bentley?
>>
>> That sounds like an appropriate place to hold the seminars, if it is
>> available, and with the event that is being advertised to be held
>> there, it appears to have a room for seminars, etc.
>
> Hi Bret,
>
> We've enquired about having our seminars at Tech Park, but apparently
> they won't decide on the "hiring arrangements" for a couple of months
> yet.  Additionally, the phrase "hiring arrangements" makes it sounds
> as if they may want to charge us for the venue, which unfortunately we
> can't afford as the seminars are free for all.  Even if the prices are
> reasonable (as was the case with Murdoch Uni, who we approached and
> offered us a discounted rate), the attendance is erratic enough that
> just charging a couple of dollars admission may not be enough for us
> to always break even.
>
> Cameron.

That is unfortunate.

I had expected that, given the nature of PLUG, and the free services
that it readily provides, including not charging attendance fees for
attending seminars and workshops, or installfests, and, making them
kind of open by not requiring attendees to be PLUG members, but, making
them freely available to all of the public that are sufficiently
interested to attend, if Open Source WA was really about promoting Open
Source Software in WA, the organisation would readily provide use of
the premises for PLUG seminars, free of charge, in order to promote the
cause for Open Source Software.

And, the relationship that could develop thence, between PLUG and Open
Source WA, could usefully promote both organisations.

But then, I suppose, as a man once told me, I am too much of an
altruist.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale