[plug] intalling evolution 2 on redhat 9

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Sat Mar 12 08:22:11 WST 2005

Evolution is a huge package with lots of major dependencies.  Its saving
grace is it works well.  'fraid your going to have to bite the bullet.

In earlier (pre 0.2 up to ~1.4) days I used to manually compile
evolution from source and build rpm's for Mandrake and redhat - not for
the faint hearted at all.  red-carpet was ok, but wanted to pull in
other stuff not related, and gave me major problems at times - though
this was a long time back now!

If apt works, use that as it seems the best of the binary installers
(after gentoo's emerge) by reputation at least.

evo 1.2 is primitive and buggy, go with at least 2.02, and do a binary
install and accept that its going to fill up a your hard drive, even in
binary form.

BillK

On Sat, 2005-03-12 at 10:24 +1100, Rob Dunne wrote:
> Hi list,
>          what is the easiest way to do this?
>
> 1) I have tried downloading the source -- but the list of libraries I
> need to get seems endless.
>
> 2) apt-get tells me that evolution 1.2.2 is up-to-date. However I need
> at least 1.4 (I think) to connect to an exchange 2000 server.
>
> 3) red-carpet seems like a large install just to get another package
> installed
>
>                                                        bye
> 						      rob

Home!